Monday, August 18, 2008

House of Fans [exploration of 'fanning' forms...]

I took the idea of fanning [The House of Fans] elements and tried a new approach... Taking the terms quite literally and exploring fans. WOW! Genius.

Anyway - it got me thinking about the ideas of a form opening from a central point [apex] and from this I have begun thinking about the opening and closing of spaces.

I have thought about  using this form as some sort of floor plan with  the narrow spiralling staircase opening out to  more open levels that fold away so a simple small form [but without much luck, as this is more about creating a temporary space that is too dynamic for a home]. 



I found this awesome pic of a 'fanning' umbrella that unfolds in the same sort of way, and it got me thinking a lot more about the layers and elements of my design overlaying in quite a complex way.

A few other ideas that came to mind when I thought about my House of Fans... The idea of Chinese and Japanese temples.


The seem to give a sense of dominance, power, with [sometimes] many storeys, and the typical dominating roof which is strong and heavy. I would like to translate some of these ideas into my 'House of Fans'!


No comments: